[Tutor] Is there a better way to do this?

Hee-Seng Kye kyeser at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 22 03:22:26 CEST 2004

I'm trying to write a program that computes six-digit numbers, in which
the left digit is always smaller than its following digit (i.e., it's
always ascending).  The output of the program starts with "0 1 2 3 4 5"
and ends on "6 7 8 9 A B."  The best I could do was to have many
embedded 'for' statements:

c = 1
for p0 in range(0, 7):
   for p1 in range(1, 12):
     for p2 in range(2, 12):
       for p3 in range(3, 12):
         for p4 in range(4, 12):
           for p5 in range(5, 12):
             if p0 < p1 < p2 < p3 < p4 < p5:
               print repr(c).rjust(3), "\t",
               print "%X %X %X %X %X %X" % (p0, p1, p2, p3, p4, p5)
               c += 1
print "...Done"

This works, except that it's very slow.  I need to get it up to
nine-digit numbers, in which case it's significantly slower.  I was
wondering if there is a more efficient way to do this.

I would highly appreciate it if anyone could help.

Many thanks.

-Kye