[Tutor] How to get Win XP command prompt to open at C:\Python23>

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Sat Jul 24 08:16:53 CEST 2004

[Dick Moores]
> I hope this is a legitimate question for tutor.

If it isn't, I'll yell at you <wink>.

> My subject header is my question. Sure hope there's a way.
>
> BTW right now my command prompt opens at
> C:\Documents and Settings\Dick>
> Yeah, I know how to cd, but it's a PITA.

What, exactly, do you do to open a DOS box ("command prompt window")?
There are 100 ways to do everything on Windows, and answers depend on
the specifics of the ways you've stumbled into.

For example, I put a cmd.exe shortcut icon on my desktop, and if you
did too then it's easy:  right-click on the icon, select Properties,
go to the Shortcut tab, type C:\Python23 in the "Start in:" box, click
Apply, then click OK.  From then on that shortcut icon will cd to
C:\Python23 all by itself when you double-click it.  You can also
adjust the size of the window, font, and number of lines of scrollback
history this way.