[Tutor] taking Python to next level

Aztech Guy aztech1200 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 24 17:51:55 CEST 2004

Hi,

>Brian van den Broek <bvande at po-box.mcgill.ca> wrote:
> where sitting down for serious study of a
> medium-sized chunk of code
> would do me some real good.

I'd call it a bit smaller than medium-sized, but this
project of mine may be of use as a sample of code to
study:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/xtopdf

It uses procedural Python, object-oriented Python
(some), dictionaries, lists, file I/O, and also a
third-party library.

It's a project to provide ways to convert other file
formats to PDF. Needs the freely available open source
version of the ReportLab toolkit (www.reportlab.org)
which is also written in Python. Also needs Python 2.2
or higher. I took care to make the code fairly
well-written, with mnemonic identifiers, reasonably
modular design, and lots of comments. There are also
test programs with test input files. And the whole
thing works, correctly :-) - at least, I did a lot of
testing, and there were no known bugs when I released
it - except one, which I would call a known bug,
because its something I'm aware of, but haven't fixed
yet - too long lines of text get truncated in the
output PDF file. Other than that, didn't find any, nor
has anyone reported any to me yet. That doesn't mean
there are none, though, but its likely that there are
only a few, if any. My $0.02. Feel free to ask
questions about the code.

HTH
Az Tech.