[Tutor] How to get Win XP command prompt to open at C:\Python23>

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Jul 24 21:22:19 CEST 2004

> My subject header is my question. Sure hope there's a way.
>
> BTW right now my command prompt opens at
> C:\Documents and Settings\Dick>
> Yeah, I know how to cd, but it's a PITA.

The easiest way is to create a shortcut then edit the properties
to change the start in folder.

You can also add a command in the Autorun section of the registry
to CD and that will apply to any prompt window
(provided it doesn't override it with a cmd line option!)

BTW If using W2K or XP it's worth doing a "help cmd" at the dos
prompt, the XP cmd is quite powerful - it even has Unix style file
and folder completion available etc... But most of the power is
switched off by default for backwards compatibility with DOS...

Alan G.