[Tutor] os.popen() questions

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Jul 24 23:08:11 CEST 2004

> > popen2 is simpler to use than popen3 when it's okay for cmd's
> > error to go to the same destination as your own process's standard
> What determines whether these things are "okay"?
> Is it highly program dependant,

It is OK if you are not doing something specific with error output
from your own program. Thus if you were logging your own error
output to a file for processing later but you were reading the
stderr from popen and using it within your program you wouldn't
be wise to use popen2.

At least thats what I think it means, I've only ever used vanilla
popen() myself...

Alan G