[Tutor] os.popen() questions

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Jul 24 23:08:11 CEST 2004

> > popen2 is simpler to use than popen3 when it's okay for cmd's
standard
> > error to go to the same destination as your own process's standard
error,

> What determines whether these things are "okay"?
> Is it highly program dependant,

Yes.

It is OK if you are not doing something specific with error output
from your own program. Thus if you were logging your own error
output to a file for processing later but you were reading the
stderr from popen and using it within your program you wouldn't
be wise to use popen2.

At least thats what I think it means, I've only ever used vanilla
popen() myself...

;-)

Alan G