[Tutor] How to get Win XP command prompt to open at C:\Python23>

Dick Moores rdm at rcblue.com
Sun Jul 25 19:05:14 CEST 2004

At 12:50 7/24/2004, Alan Gauld wrote:
> > Make sure to use quick edit mode, insert mode, and at least
> > a few hundred rows in the screen buffer. That certainly makes
> > CMD.EXE less painful...
> >

>And set up DOSKEY to run by modifying
>
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor\AutoRun
>
>In Regedit
>
> > BTW, is autocomple on TAB on by default in XP, or do you need
> > to tweak the registry for that?
>
>Its a registry hack under:

Both doskey and autocompletion were there for me with Win XP Pro when I
bought my current computer in January. At least I can't remember making
any register hack for it. Or any register hacks period. Both File
completion and Folder completion worked with the Tab key. And access to
the command history with the up-arrow key.

Searching Google Groups I found how to set a list of doskey macros.
See http://tinyurl.com/3pt5z . The macros in the file I created are set
automatically when I use the shortcut  key for cmd.exe (the shortcut
"target" is %SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe.

>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor\CompletionChar
>
>for File completion and
>
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Command
>Processor\PathCompletionChar
>
>For Folder completion
>
>You have to specify the decimal or hex ASCII value of the key
>
>27 for escape, 9 for tab...
>
>And you need to modify the shortcut to start CMD with
>
>CMD /F:ON

I haven't needed to do this either.

>Its all in the help you get when you type CMD /? at the DOS prompt.

Dick Moores