Re: [Tutor] How to control list input ?

Magnus Lycka magnus at
Thu Jun 3 15:08:38 EDT 2004

> For my purposes doctlist can't be just any arbitrary list of lists; it
> will have to be made of a precise number of elements, that musn't be
> hardcoded but definable;

So it's not a list!

> how do you suggest I try coding a) a way in
> which to define what the structure of my list ought to be like and b) a
> way of checking the input to make sure it corresponds ?

Don't use a list. Use a class. If you want to be able to access attributes
in your instance objects as if they were list members, just implement the
__getitem__ method.

>>> class ListLike:
	def __init__(self, name, address, phone):
	def __getitem__(self, i):
		return [, self.address,][i]

>>> a = ListLike('Santa Claus', 'North Pole', 123)
>>> for i in a:
	print i

Santa Claus
North Pole

Magnus Lycka, Thinkware AB
Alvans vag 99, SE-907 50 UMEA, SWEDEN
phone: int+46 70 582 80 65, fax: int+46 70 612 80 65  mailto:magnus at