[Tutor] Re: How create a grade book

Andrei project5 at redrival.net
Fri Jun 4 12:23:46 EDT 2004

Cantkirby at aol.com wrote on Fri, 4 Jun 2004 11:38:33 EDT:

> Hi My name is cliff,

Hi Cliff,

> I have just began to use python from the intactive screen.  I wrote a small
> program that ran fine. Now I want to write a program that accept use input and
> perform calculations.  Specifically, I want to write a grade book that
> conisist of student name, grade, subjects, average, date, and objective.  However, I

Sounds doable.

> don't know how to connect pyton to visual basic by COM.  I tried to set a com

What does VB have to do with anything? Just looking for ways to make your
life hard? :) Perhaps you don't know that Python has other ways of being
used, not just the interactive screen. You can use it just fine for GUI
development too.

> server and I have had no luck.  Is it because i'm using the XP operating
> system.   Also, If you have any example code for setting-up a database file or
> which do you recommend using with python.  I have many more questions but I think

You could use the built-in bsddb module. It's very fast and easy to use
(you can basically approach it like a Python dictionary).

> this is a load.  Please, Please  respond because I really want to learn this
> language. Thanks Cliff

Paragraph 7.13.1 of the Python 2.3 docs contain a simple, but sufficient
example of using the bsddb module. Note that it is possible to store just
about anythin as value, not just strings, by using the pickle.dumps() and
pickle.loads() methods.

--
Yours,

Andrei