[Tutor] Python On RedHat?

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue Jun 8 14:29:15 EDT 2004

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004, Ivan Low wrote:

> Hi, I had recently install linux and had been trying if make it work for
> me and the first problem I encounter was using the python program in
> linux. I can access the program using the comman window but that was
> like a interactive window for me to test some programming code. Here's
> my question, are there python software preinstall in Redhat that work
> like those I use in Mac OS? Since I had chose the full installation.

Hi Ivan,

I suspect that the IDLE GUI might already be installed on your system, but
unfortunately, I can't test my assumption.  If you can tell us what Linux
distribution you've installed, one of us can probably figure out if IDLE
is installed by default.

IDLE usually comes bundled with Python, and I've written a brief
introduction to it:

   http://hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu/~dyoo/python/idle_intro/

> I had access some of those programming tool that had very nice word
> editing function that can import or export or create a new project. Are
> there such thing for python since I had found out that those are more
> for C++?

Hmmm... Yes, there are a few nice IDE's that you may want to try.  Here's
a list of them:

   http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/IntegratedDevelopmentEnvironments

If you have more questions, please feel free to ask.  Good luck!