[Tutor] Very, very new

Michael P. Hopcroft michael at mphpress.com
Thu Jun 10 21:03:20 EDT 2004

Gentles,

    Let me state that my only experience with Python has been as an
end-user with programs that are programmed in Python. It had never
ocured to me that i wanted to program in the langauge until now.
    Well, armed with the latest version of Python and a program idea
that may be too difficult for me to accomplish myself, I was wondering
if there was a good source that would teach me how to learn the
language. One local group in the Portland area, free Geek, is already
teaching me how to build computers. I'd like to be able to build
programs too.
    Anyone have suggestions on a good textbook for that purpose,
especially that would teach me how to work with graphical interfaces and
with databases (the sort of thing you would find in a roleplaying game
character generator).

    Michael Hopcroft

    P.S. Isn't the popular "PCGen" program written in Python as well? It
doesn;t seem like what i want to do si unprecedented.