[Tutor] Is Python a valid business tool?

Hamma Scott scott_hamma at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 16 18:13:55 EDT 2004

I hope this is the area where I could post this. If
this is off topic please forgive me. I've tried
authors of articles about Python and user groups
devoted to Python (Bay Piggies to be exact) and have
gotten no response. I'm looking for direction.

I'm currently working in a company whose direction is
pointed towards Java and Websphere. We used Visual
Basic in the past and have some applications still
about. We develop software under a windows environment
to distributed unders the Windows OS. I have seen some
smaller in-roads towards .NET and some in-roads
towards Linux, but nothing that will bring Linux
company-wide.

My question; Is Python a language that is a good fit
in this environment or is this something just for me?
I'm just starting to learn it, but I've been met with
questions that I cannot answer

- I have read that Python can be used like Perl CGI
pages but I've heard that CGI is a resource pig.
Right? Wrong? Is there another way to use Python on
the Web?

- How can Python integrate in the above environment?
Is there a need that it can fill?

I would appreciate any response...thanks for your time
on this matter.

Scott