[Tutor] What Eval() Hath Men Wrought

Theresa Robinson robinst at MIT.EDU
Tue Jun 22 12:22:47 EDT 2004

I'm really glad to see discussion about eval(), since I was wondering what
the alternatives are to it.  I'm brand new to python, and my best skills
are probably in C++ & Matlab.

Some of us want to write an optimization toolbox for python, similar to
the one in Matlab.  Many of the toolbox functions will require functions
as arguments.

For example, we'll want to write a function to minimize the return value
of another function by varying the latter function's vector argument.

The C way to do it is to pass in a pointer to a function.  This is good
because C nicely checks that the function 1) is actually a function 2)
takes the right arguments 3) returns the right type.  The Matlab way to do
it is to pass a string that contains the function name, and to use the
Matlab feval function, which is similar to the Python eval but nicer since
you don't have to construct the whole string yourself, but instead can use
the form feval('function_name',argument).  This works but is bad because
you get weird errors if the function name is wrong, or if the function
takes an unexpected kind of argument or returns an unexpected type.

What is the right way to do this in Python?  Where can I learn how to do
it?

Thanks,
Theresa