[Tutor] Record Locking and Access - newbye

mjekl mjekl at clix.pt
Sat Jun 19 08:08:15 EDT 2004

Hi,

Here's my problem.
Using python dbapi I get groups of records back from a database into a list
for example to feed a "List Form" which is just a grid on a form (the db is
about 9000 thousand records - so I suppose there's not a big problem to
fetch all records in a go!).

Now when a user selects a record from a grid on screen I can send him to
another form "Record Form" where he can edit the record. This way I can have
only one query to the database and have the users working locally on there
record sets. But when a user edits an existing record I puzzled to think
that another user might be changing that record at the same time (because
they are not locking any records and are using lists with the record
contents locally)! This could cause for example that user A changes record 1
from "bar" to "foo" and updates the db, just after user A user B updates the
db with a change in the same record from "bar" to "foobar" (never seeing
user As changes)!!!

I guess this is a very common problem with a standard solution. How can I
avoid this?

Best regards,
Mekl