[Tutor] What Eval() Hath Men Wrought

Theresa Robinson robinst at MIT.EDU
Thu Jun 24 12:30:11 EDT 2004

> There is no right way, mostly I would pass a function reference
> as my preferred route and apply() as a close second if, for
> example the functions took different numbers of arguments.

Thank you very much for your help.  I did a little more research and it
looks like somebody has already started on an optimization package,
although it doesn't have everything we'll need.
(http://pylab.sourceforge.net/packages/optimize.py)

I think it would be a good idea for me to use the same techniques, and
hopefully even the same argument list etc. for any algorithms I add to it.
And it has:

def fmin(func, x0, args=(), xtol=1e-4, ftol=1e-4, maxiter=None, maxfun=None, fulloutput=0, printmessg=1)

<snip>

fxr = apply(func,(xr,)+args)

so I think I'll just copy that.  Next I should look up apply().

Thanks,
Theresa