[Tutor] regular expressions

Larry Blair lbblair at adaptisinc.com
Thu Jun 24 13:11:10 EDT 2004

I am trying to use regular expressions to delete a wildcard set of tables.
My pattern is 'TEMP*' The code below is how I am implementing the delete.

My problem is that it also deletes a file 'SYSTEM' also. I can see where the
TEM parts match.
First is why does it ignore the P from the patterns?
Second I understand that search scans through the string looking for a
match. What I am wanting to do is use the \A switch , I think, that will
match only the start of the string. I have tried puting the switch in
various places and don't seem to quit understand where it should go. I need
an example :)

Thanks for any help
Larry

    pattern = re.compile(del_pattern)
    try:
        for each in os.listdir(file_location):
            if pattern.search(each):
                name = os.path.join(file_location, each)
                os.remove(name)
    except:
        type,value,tb = sys.exc_info()
        msgs.sendInfo(str(traceback.format_exception(type,value,tb) ))

for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain information
that is confidential privileged and/or exempt from disclosure under
applicable law.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is
prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the
Thank you.