[Tutor] class variables [meta: mailing list netiquette]

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Fri Jun 25 02:59:06 EDT 2004

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004, Nick Lunt wrote:

> thanks again for the explanation. Now I can see the relationship between
> pythons class variables and javas static variables I understand what is
> going on.
>
> ps I apologise for replying to each response to my original email
> seperately, I just thought it was the simplest way to do it. If that
> goes against the etiquette of the list, please let me know.

Hi Nick,

That's fine.  One thing you may want to do, though, is to crop the
'quoted' part of your replies down to the part you want to talk about.  A
few lines from the last email usually is enough to restore the thread of
conversation.

A strong reason for doing this kind of cropping is to be helpful to the
folks who are reading the list in "Digest mode": they probably don't want
to see the same message over and over again.  *grin*

There's a nice "Mailing List Netiquette" page here:

    http://www.woodgate.org/FAQs/netiquette.html

as well as the more colorful "How To Ask Questions the Smart Way":

Both have reasonable suggestions that will serve you well in technical
mailing lists.

Good luck to you!