[Tutor] (IOError: [Errno 9] Bad file descriptor) in IDLE (wrong mailing list?) [sending good error reports to idle-dev]

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue Jun 29 02:46:59 EDT 2004

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 Dragonfirebane at aol.com wrote:

> I'm unsure where to submit this, but there appears to be an error with
> IDLE.  Every so often when i run a module (not a particular one), this
> comes up and i have to run it again:

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "C:\PROGRA~1\PYTHON~1.4C1\lib\lib-tk\Tkinter.py", line 1345, in
> __call__
>     return self.func(*args)

[traceback cut]

Hi Orri,

Ok.  Send that traceback in the direction of the IDLE developers at:

My initial impressions is that this is an legitimate IDLE bug; you should
never see errors like this as a user.

When you send the traceback to idle-dev, mention what version of Python
you've installed.  From the traceback, I'm guessing that you're running
Python 2.3.4 RC1, which is actually a "release candidate".  Can you see if
the same buggy behavior happens with the official 2.3.4 final release?

Also, show the IDLE developers the module that you're trying to run
through IDLE, at the point where IDLE goes haywire.  It may provide the
developers a clue as to why it's doing nuts.

As far as I can tell, from the traceback,

>     return compile(source, filename, "exec")
>   File "C:\PROGRA~1\PYTHON~1.4C1\lib\warnings.py", line 116, in warn_explicit
>     showwarning(message, category, filename, lineno)
>   File "C:\PROGRA~1\PYTHON~1.4C1\lib\idlelib\PyShell.py", line 55, in
> idle_showwarning
>     file.write(warnings.formatwarning(message, category, filename, lineno))
> IOError: [Errno 9] Bad file descriptor

that here, IDLE was right in the middle of trying to send a warning
message about your module code... but then it itself broke right in the
middle of the error reporting.  Slightly embarassing.  *grin* Your code
may help to highlight a bug in IDLE, so it would be invaluable to include
your program in your report.

Good luck!