[Tutor] help with ScientificPython

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Mon Mar 8 13:52:31 EST 2004

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004, Denny Li wrote:

> I download ScientificPython-2.4.5 cource code and install it according
> to its document.
> but when i run its examples in the directory "Examples" ,it raise error:
> [root at qlli Examples]# python compile.py
> make: Makefile.pre.in: No such file or Directory
> make: *** No rule to make target `Makefile.pre.in'. Stop.
> make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
> and i think the Doc in ScientificPython are TOO simple, is there an
> detailed document about ScientificPython?
> thanks

Hi Denny,

Hmmm...  I'll assume that you mean:

    http://starship.python.net/~hinsen/ScientificPython/

It appears that the system requires a file called 'Makefile.pre.in' that's
included with the source distribution of Python.  Makefile.pre.in has
traditionally been used to build third-party Python extensions.

However, I don't believe that file is included in recent versions of
Python, as the old build system has been deprecated in favor of the
Distutils system.  You may want to email the author of the module to see
if the author would be willing to modify the Examples to use Distutils.

Good luck to you!