[Tutor] dataset module

Greg Whittier greg at thewhittiers.com
Thu Mar 11 19:44:20 EST 2004

I'm doing what Python Programming on Win32 calls "data laundering."
Basically, I'm taking data from a database via odbc and manipulating it
in python (interpolating, transforming, plotting, etc.).  I've
implemented a simple DataSet class like that in the book that just holds
data in a list of lists.  The book has a paired down class and I've been
implementing extra methods as I need them (sorting by columns, etc.).
It's been a good exercise (got to use decorate-sort-unsort a lot!), but
I feel like I'm reinventing the wheel.

Looking at the web, however, I found a presentation
http://starship.python.net/crew/pirx/spam7/COMtut.PPT that describes a
DataSet class with a pretty good set of methods.  Is this code available
anywhere?  Is there another standard module people generally use?  Or,
do people generally craft their own data access widget?

Thanks,
Greg