[Tutor] basic question about help()

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Mar 16 18:10:53 EST 2004

> > launch IDLE
> > type "help()"
> > type "topics"
> >
> > Sure enough, a long list of topics comes up. But for almost all
> > entries in that list, if FOO is in the list, typing 'foo' at the
> > prompt yields:
>
> Note that Python is case sensitive. Don't expect 'foo' to be
> in any way equivalent to 'FOO'.

Magnus is correct you need to use uppercase.

> At least on my system, D:\Python23\Doc just contains a windows
> help file (Python23.chm). It's been created *from* HTML files,
> but they aren't included.

Really? My python install does have the help as html. (You don't
use the ActiveState installer by any chance Magnus?)

> So, how do I make help work? Where do I set this environment
> variable PYTHONDOCS?

Depends on OS. But assuming you are on NT/W2K/XP you go into
MyComputer->Properties->Advanced->Environment Variables
(On Win 9X/Me its by editing the C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT file.)

Either for yourself(probably best) or for the full system
hit New

Enter the name PYTHONDOCS
and the Value

E:\PYTHON\DOc