[Tutor] Accessing class instances

Steve George stevege at i-way.net.uk
Wed Mar 17 06:40:18 EST 2004

Hi,

I'm having a bit of a problem understanding how to use modules and
class instances.

The basic idea in my program is to have a number of classes as follows:

MainProgram()
	"" Does all my start-up stuff and controls it """

Options()
	""" parses options and stores them as attributes"""

DataLoader()
	""" Loads a data file and allows operations on it """

I put MainProgram() and Options() classes into one single text file and
my DataLoader() class into another.

When I instantiate my DataLoader object I want it to look at the
instance of my Options() class and pull some information from it.  At
the moment I get:

in get_price
     print Opts.line_size
NameError: global name 'Opts' is not defined

I think I have two problems going on:

a.  I don't think I understand how a class can query an instance of a
class
So here my DataLoader class when it's instantiated needs to query an
instance of my Options() class named Opts.

At the moment I understand how one module can access another and
instantiate an object e.g. DataLoader.dataloader() but I'm less clear
how a module can access the instance of that class at runtime.

b.  Have I mis-used modules?
I used the different files/modules thinking that it logically separated
how I was thinking about the problem.  Howerver, there is some
information I need to pass back and forward between them, the use of
'options' is a good example.  How do Python programmers normally get
around this?

Hope I've been clear in my explanation!

Thanks,

Steve