[Tutor] Off Topic: Revision control system

Gonçalo Rodrigues op73418 at mail.telepac.pt
Tue Mar 30 16:21:51 EST 2004

Em Tue, 30 Mar 2004 20:08:24 +0100, Nick Lunt <nick at javacat.f2s.com>
atirou este peixe aos pinguins:

>Hi Folks,
>
>I hope you don't mind me sending this but I thought I'd ask for your
>advice :)
>
>I run linux and have a bucket load of python scripts that I regularly
>amend and it's starting to get annoying, ie
>
>vi testfile.py
>./testfile.py
>cp testfile.py testfile2.py
>vi testfile2.py
>./testfile2.py
>cp testfile2.py testfile3.py
>vi testfile3.py
>etc
>
>I keep copying so I don't destroy something that works.
>
>Now my question is, do you folks use any sort of revision control system
>on linux ? I've had a look at CVS and RCS but both seem a bit over the
>top for my needs.
>
>Can anyone recommend a simpler solution please ?
>Or should I write my own (ha I wish).

Karl recommended CVS, I recommend subversion. See

http://subversion.tigris.org/

It's an improvement over CVS, very easy to use locally. There are also
(at least) two projects for GUI clients, TortoiseSVN (Only for
windoze, *I think*) and RapidSVN which was still pretty alpha last
time I looked.

The docs explain all that you need to set up a local repository and
work out from there. You can also look up

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2002/10/31/subversion.html

With my best regards,
G. Rodrigues