[Tutor] Python & XML

justinstraube at charter.net justinstraube at charter.net
Thu May 6 19:21:36 EDT 2004

Hello,

Ive used the httplib module and the examples given in the 2.3 docs to
retrieve my or a given users stats from SETI,

http://setiathome2.ssl.berkeley.edu/fcgi-
bin/fcgi?cmd=user_xml&email=XXXX
(where XXXX is the registered email address)

The string retrieved is in XML format. Ive begun looking at the some of
the docs for the different XML modules in 2.3 but this is a bit
confusing. Im not sure where to start.

I am guessing that this should be a fairly simple project as the tags
for the fields in the user stats shouldnt change. I would just need to
extract the wanted data for display.

Can anyone can point me to anything on how to go about this?

####
import httplib

SETI = "setiathome2.ssl.berkeley.edu"

print = '\t\tPSETI'
usrmail = raw_input('\nYour Email Address: ')
addr = '/fcgi-bin/fcgi?cmd=user_xml&email=' + usrmail

conx = httplib.HTTPConnection(SETI)
conx.request('GET', addr)
response = conx.getresponse()
print response.status, response.reason