[Tutor] a big thank to all tutors and tutees

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat May 15 07:42:23 EDT 2004

> I just now finished a first real and genuine to-do-some-actual-work
> program and

Congratulations, there's always a buzz when you move from
"interesting novelty" to "real value" programming.

> What I wrote was a program to merge the various files, alphabetize
the
> merged file by heading, merge lines with identical heading strings,
sort
> the page references, and give it book-index formatting where it
appears like:

That's pretty impressive. However I wonder whether you have access to
either Linux/Unix or Cygwin? If so you probably could have used the
publishing tools that come with those to do the indexing etc. It
would probably have made the programming much easier I suspect.

> All in all, no Fields Medal will be awarded, but it feels great to
have
> created a real program to do real work.

Well done, it's no mean feat and I'm sure it won't be the last.

Alan G.