[Tutor] Hello new to python and the mailing list, need some help

Glen Wheeler gew75 at hotmail.com
Sun May 30 01:24:48 EDT 2004

  Hi Kevin,

  Escape codes are special characters used in strings to represent things
which we find hard to put into simple letters.
  For example, the escape code for a newline is `\n'.  So,

print '\n'

  will actually print *two* blank lines.  There is a little inconsistency
with Python's file handling in that the print command will automatically add
a newline after any output, but a file.write(..) will not.

  As a further hint, string concatenation is formed with the `+' operator.
So that

d = 'dog'
c = 'cat'
s = c+d
print s // 'catdog'

  Now, I'm sure you can figure out how to get newlines into your file :).

  Glen