[Tutor] Does anyone know if IDLE has a maximized setting?

Eric L. Howard elh at outreachnetworks.com
Mon Nov 1 18:19:53 CET 2004

At a certain time, now past [Nov.01.2004-05:49:27PM +0100], klappnase at freenet.de spake thusly:
> On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 10:50:29 -0500
> "Jacob S." <keridee at jayco.net> wrote:
>
> > Hello again.
> >
> >     I am using IDLE for editing my scripts and I was wondering if there was
> > a way to default the IDLE windows to come up maximized every time. As it is,
> > I have to maximize the window every time I right click on a file and click
> > edit with IDLE. This gets annoying very quickly. Does anyone know what file
> > in the idlelib directory might contain the TK script for the editor and
> > shell windows so that I might change that setting myself?
> >

> It's in EditorWindow.py, line 79 (at least my version, the line might vary); the magic line is:
>
>     self.top = top = self.Toplevel(root, menu=self.menubar)
>
> this creates the new window.
>
> You can use the Toplevel's  geometry method to do what you want; simply
> add a line:
>
>     top.geometry('1024x740+0+0')

I adjust the EditorWindow properties by added the following to
~/.idlerc/config-main.cfg

[EditorWindow]
font= -windows-profontwindows-medium-r-normal--11-110-72-72-c-60-microsoft-cp1252
font-size= 10
font-bold=0
width= 120
height= 50

If you can figure out the width and height needed to fill the screen, this
setup wouldn't get overwritten by updates to idle...

       ~elh

--
Eric L. Howard           e l h @ o u t r e a c h n e t w o r k s . c o m