[Tutor] Re: programming theology questions

Mike Hansen mhansen at cso.atmel.com
Mon Nov 1 21:09:48 CET 2004

I know you posted this on Saturday, but I get digest mode and the list
sends to my work address, so I just read your message.

Anyway, the book The Pragmatic Programmer suggests that you learn a new
language every year. I haven't done that, but I think learning different
languages is a good thing. Someday I'd like to try Smalltalk or Lisp. I
think those two are different enough from what I know(VB/VBA, VBScript,
Perl, Python, COBOL, DCL) that they'd warp my brain exposing me to new
and different ways of doing things.

Sometimes I get concerned about learning another language. I worry about
mixing them up when I'm coding.(Vthon or PyBOL =) ) But that really
hasn't happened. You'll manage to keep it straight. I just try to make
sure I get over the initial learning curve of one before learning another.

Mike