[Tutor] *OFF-TOPIC* Good Java mailing list/Java StackOverflowError

Dragonfirebane at aol.com Dragonfirebane at aol.com
Thu Nov 11 06:05:51 CET 2004

Hello all,
    I recently began learning Java and was wondering what the generally
best-thought-of java mailing list was. On the other hand, if anyone on this list
has some knowledge of Java, please keep reading.

I am trying to write a program to convert numbers (floating and negative,
too) from the given base to base 10. As this is part of a larger project, what i
have already written will no doubt appear as overkill, but the code in
question can be found at http://rafb.net/paste/results/YDpaXH25.html (the relevant
section is bounded by 5 lines of asterisk comments on top and bottom). In any
case, though the current code has no syntax errors, a runtime error does occur
when i try to call it like so;

// java code
public class BasemathInterface {
        Basemath a = new Basemath();
        a.convertBase(10, 23.4, false);
    }
}
//end java code

a StackOverflowError:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.StackOverflowError
Press any key to continue . . .

I suspect this has something to do with line 88, where the second "half" of
floating-point numbers are handled, since I've heard StackOverflowErrors are
often caused by infinite loops, though i'm not sure how the current code would
set up such a loop. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Orri

Email: dragonfirebane at aol.com
AIM: singingxduck