[Tutor] Globals?

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Sat Nov 13 21:57:13 CET 2004

I think the idea is that x in the enclosing scope should be changed when
_ is called. To closure purists :-) a language doesn't have closures if
it can't do this.

Python will bind the *values* of variables in an enclosing scope into a
closure, which is good enough for many uses :-)

Personally I haven't found much need for 'true' closures. orbitz, can
you say why this is such a pain? How would you use a true closure?

A workaround is to store the variable in a list, but it's a bit ugly:

x = [3]
def fn(x):
     def _():
        x[0] += 1