[Tutor] how do i use p2exe

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Sun Nov 14 12:58:25 CET 2004

Ah. py2exe doesn't actually create a single-file executable. You need
everything else in the dist folder to go with the .exe.

If you want a single file exe, Google for 'py2exe single file' to find
some discussions.

If you want the exe on your desktop, just make a shortcut.

A more general tip - when a console-based program is failing, if you run
it by double-clicking the exe you will often see just the flash of the
console opening and closing. You can get more information by opening a
console yourself to the directory and running the exe from the command line.

With weekday1.exe, if I copy it to a new directory and run it from the
command line I get this:
D:\Personal\Tutor\weekday>weekday1
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "C:\Python23\lib\site-packages\py2exe\boot_common.py", line 69, in ?
     import linecache
ImportError: No module named linecache
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "weekday1.py", line 8, in ?
     import datetime
ImportError: No module named datetime

which might not have been enough for you to figure out the problem but
it is at least a clue in the right direction.

Kent