[Tutor] Sort pointers -

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Thu Nov 25 14:07:03 CET 2004

Liam Clarke wrote:
> Thanks guys,
>
> I might hold off on Python 2.4 until it's out of the release candidate
> stage (I wonder how that differs from beta testing? Beta testing writ
> large?)

Release candidate is a later stage than beta. Python 2.4 has had three
alpha releases and two beta releases already.

The best description of the release stages I can find is in the Python FAQ:
Alphas are early releases in which interfaces aren't yet finalized; it's
not unexpected to see an interface change between two alpha releases.
Betas are more stable, preserving existing interfaces but possibly
adding new modules, and release candidates are frozen, making no changes
except as needed to fix critical bugs.

Python 2.4 final is scheduled for end of November so you shouldn't have
long to wait.

Kent