[Tutor] Help with very basic question

Anna Ravenscroft revanna at mn.rr.com
Fri Nov 26 14:28:31 CET 2004

Harov Satmandirvich wrote:
> Hello.  Before I continue with a tutorial I would like
> to know something very basic:  Is there any other way
> to advance a line in Python than hitting
> "tabtabtabtab"..etc?   When I hit"enter?" it enters
> the line as if it was a complete bit of program.

When you're using the interactive interpreter, it'll keep doing that.
BUT - it's easy to fix that. Presumably, you're using IDLE or something
similar (if not - you probably should consider it. IDLE makes things a
lot easier than the commandline interpreter - and IDLE comes packaged
with Python.) In IDLE, just click on File > New Window and then type the
statements in the new window. Use F5 to run it (it'll want you to "Save
the File". Just give it a name like "temp1" or "testing" and enter.
It'll try running the code in the main IDLE Shell and you'll see any
errors that come up. It's a really handy way of working - I try out just
about everything that way.

Hope this helps!
Anna