[Tutor] Change to Python 2.4?

Liam Clarke cyresse at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 11:00:37 CET 2004

Just reading the changes log for 2.4, biggies (to me) seem to be

new iterator objects, email.Parser rewritten to handle malformed
email, and a new collection type the deque (double ended queue). Oh,
long integers & integers merged, and sorted(), and sort() using new
keywords.

if I did a lot of email parsing, I might upgrade.

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 09:06:12 +0100, Anna Ravenscroft <revanna at mn.rr.com> wrote:
> Alan Gauld wrote:
> >>    How hard would it be to change to python 2.4?
> >

> > Probably not very hard but, why would you want to?
> > Do you have a need?
> >
> > At work I am still using Python 2.1, and at home I
> > still use 2.2 on my Mac. I only moved to 2.3 on my
> > PC so that I could update my tutor, I am not knowingly
> > using any 2.3 specific features.
>
> Wow. I've heard so many kewl things on 2.3 (like datetime and sets and
> sum) that I can't imagine having to work in 2.2 or earlier anymore...
>
> > So unless you need something specific in 2.4 there
> > should be no reason to ruish to it, wait till a
> > safe point in your project - like after you get a
> > stable working release - and then upgrade at your
> > leasure...
>
> 2.4 has worked heavily on optimization. So lots of code runs faster on
> 2.4. There's also a new Decimal type, generator expressions, reverse
> iterators, built-in set objects, simpler string substitutions, and
> decorators for functions and methods.
>

> >new things in python 2.4?
> >
> > THere is usually a list available on the web site.
>
> http://www.python.org/dev/doc/devel/whatsnew/
>
> >>I have seen enough on this list to know that it
> >>would be advantageous for me to download it.
> >

> > If you have a specifc advantage that makes the
> > advantage worth the risk then go ahead. Python
> > release changes are usually pretty easy and
> > backwardly compatible.
>
> Generally yes. And there's no reason you can't install 2.4 in another
> directory and try both versions for a while to see which one you like
> better. Just make sure your !# line points to the right version.
>
> >scripts written for 2.3 work for 2.4?
>
> I can't see any reason why not. Backwards compatibility is a biggie with
> Python releases and I haven't heard of anything in the new release that
> "breaks" older ways of doing things.
>
> > Occasionally something might break but in most
> > cases(99%?) I'd expect the 2.3 stuff to just work.
>
> Yep.
>
> Anna

'There is only one basic human right, and that is to do as you damn well please.
And with it comes the only basic human duty, to take the consequences.