[Tutor] programming newbie question

Liam Clarke cyresse at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 23:28:00 CET 2004

As a beginner, I can understand the frustration. What's the right
thing to use and how?

Truth is, unless you're programming for some form of qualification
there is no right way or style, only that which works for you.

Use what works.

If you just figured out how to use lists, then use two lists instead
of a dictionary of tuples.

I will say one thing though, OOP is overhyped. Don't be scared of
objects, or the Python documentation. : )

As you get experience, you'll use new things to solve new problems,
and your toolbox of tricks and objects/functions will grow, and you'll
reach a point where you look back at that first code you wrote and
shudder.

Heck, I've reached that point, and I started learning Python 2 months ago.

Good luck,

Liam Clarke

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 10:52:55 -0800 (PST), Chad Crabtree
<flaxeater at yahoo.com> wrote:
> How about some easy games, such as hangman, tic tac toe (called other
>
> things elsewhere), then move on to more challenging things, such as
> minesweeper.
>

> dustinp at pointclark.net wrote:
>
> >I am fairly new to programming and I have started to learn
> programming
> >then stopped out of frustration several times in the past.  I guess
> my
> >frustration stems from not being able to understand when to use
> certain
> >aspects of programming such as functions or classes.  I have read
> enough
> >books and tutorials to know the syntax of python and I understand
> most
> >everything related to the concepts of programming, but I have never
> been
> >able to put it all together and learn how and when to use specific
> >features.  Can anyone suggest a method or some reading to help out
> with
> >this?  I also struggle with finding projects to work on does anyone
> know
> >of projects that a novice could contribute to?

> http://my.yahoo.com

'There is only one basic human right, and that is to do as you damn well please.
And with it comes the only basic human duty, to take the consequences.