[Tutor] Mail...

Gerhard Venter s.venter at ntlworld.com
Mon Oct 4 16:13:29 CEST 2004

Ali Polatel wrote:

> and how can i find a host?
> or can i programme a host?
> thanks

Hi Ali

I can never remember to change my reply address from person to the
list.  The code I sent to you instead of the list was:

import smtplib
server = smtplib.SMTP('myrelayhost')
server.set_debuglevel(1)
server.sendmail("from at example.com", "myfriend at mydestination.net",
"Subject:test email\n\n  test")
server.quit()

For myrelayhost, you need to supply the hostname or IP address of an
email SMTP server that will allow you to send.  Being a Yahoo user you
might not use this normally, but the SMTP server (relay host) you need
to use is the one made available by the ISP/University/School/etc where
you are connected.  Ask your network administrator what to use.

Gerhard