[Tutor] Ftplib error using dir()

Lloyd Kvam pythonTutor at venix.com
Sun Oct 10 19:23:31 CEST 2004

On Sat, 2004-10-09 at 15:15, Chad Crabtree wrote:
> WEISS, MARK (NB) wrote:
>
> >Hello Group,
> >
> >I am trying to build a FTP client and I am getting a 'connection
> >refused' error when I call the code listed below.  I can login fine
> (in
> >my script), and I connect through a command prompt using the ftp
> command
> >(Win2K) I can list the files in the remote directory.  Also, to
> further
> >confuse the matter I can run this code against a local ftp server
> and
> >return the list of files.
> >

> How about an error message?

This might be a firewall issue.  Putting the FTP server into passive
mode may do the trick.  Originally FTP servers connected back to the
client to send data.  Passive mode has the server wait for the client to
make the data connection.  Typically a client's firewall will allow the
client to connect to the ftp server but block connections originating
from the ftp server.

Lloyd Kvam
Venix Corp