[Tutor] declare-define

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Fri Oct 15 20:22:13 CEST 2004

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004, nitt wrote:

> Hi All'
>
>     Trying to get the following, and yes,tried most everything.
>
> input("p(1)=")
> input("p(1)=")
> input("p(3)=")

Hi Nitt,

Ah!  The problem here is that input() actually knows nothing about the
string prompt that you're giving it.  What I mean is that we could have
easily have written:

    input("The first value of the p variable:")

or:

    input("Give me something to input:")

Python will print out the input, but it basically doesn't try to
understand what the prompt means.  input() is not smart enough to
interpret English.  *grin*

So you need to tell it to store the result of the input() into the target
variable in an explicit way.  For example:

    p1 = input("please enter p1")

or:

    p1 = input("p(1)=")

Does this make sense?

> print int(a) rjust(45)
> Keep getting name error,p() not defined and rjust doesn't exist.

What is rjust()?  Which tutorial or documentation are you looking at?

Best of wishes to you!