[Tutor] Hello from a beginner!

Gus Tabares gustabares at verizon.net
Tue Oct 19 17:28:43 CEST 2004

Nicholas.Montpetit at deluxe.com wrote:

> I'm completely new to this list (and Python) so I just wanted to say
> hello and introduce myself.
>
> I have a lot of experience with Perl, but I've been hearing enough
> good stuff about Python that it seems like I'm overdue time to pick it
> up.  My early readings (from O'Reilly's LEARNING PYTHON) lead me to
> believe that it should be an excellent language for GUI apps,
> scientific computing, and cross-platform apps.  Along with reading the
> O'Reilly book, I hope this list will get me up to speed quickly.
>
> Does anyone have an opinion on the MIGRATING FROM PERL TO PYTHON (or
> something like that;  has a snake on the cover) book out there?  I'm
> considering picking that one up.
>
> Thanks, and I look forward to learning Python and participating in
> this list!
>
> Nicholas Montpetit
> Deluxe Business Services
> 651-787-1008

IMO I think the only books you'll need for general Python programming
are Learning Python and Programming Python. Of course if you plan on
using Tkinter extensively you might consider picking up a Tkinter book.

I don't think you should have a big problem converting from Perl to
Python. Python handles OOP nicely (as opposed to being "globbed" on
afterwards) and has a very clean syntax. Best of all, it's simple to
learn! Coming from Perl you should be able to pick it up within a week
or less.

I think in the end you'll be glad you made the "conversion". And may I
be the first to say, Welcome to Python!:)

Good Luck,
Gus