[Tutor] Hello from a beginner!

McLaughlin, Toby tmclaughlin at csu.edu.au
Wed Oct 20 06:25:41 CEST 2004

I'm currently learning Python from a Perl background and I think you
can't go too far wrong with "Learning Python".  In fact, I suspect that
making the conceptual links between the two languages without any
explicit help from the book helps to develop a deeper understanding of
programming concepts in general.

There have been a few nice introductions from people on the list
recently, which has filled me with guilt for not introducing myself.
I'm a Linux (and sometimes Windows) sysadmin who often needs scripts to
solve little problems.  I hope that if I write enough of these (and make
them elegant enough), I'll one day be able to call myself a programmer.
Recently, I've decided to try using Python to for the sort of things for
which I'd normally use Perl, particularly in the realm of text
processing.  For extra fun, I'm learning Emacs at the same time, so I'm
migrating from Perl in Vim to Python in Emacs.

So far, I'm loving the language and am delighted to see that this list
contains such friendly and enthusiastic people.

Toby McLaughlin.