[Tutor] processing lines and polygons

Kent Johnson kent_johnson at skillsoft.com
Wed Oct 20 12:05:37 CEST 2004

Dictionaries are very helpful with this type of problem. I would try
building a dictionary that maps individual points to the sequence
containing the point. When you create a new sequence from the input, look
up each of its points in the dict. If you find any of them, then combine
the two sequences. Finally add the new points to the dict. Something like this:

map = {}
for each sequence s:
   sfinal = s
   for each point p in s:
     s2 = map.get(p)
     if s2:
       add the points in s to s2
       sfinal = s2 # remember the new sequence containing points of the
original s
       break
   for each point p in s:
     map[p] = sfinal

When you are done, map.values() is the list of consolidated sequences.

Two things that could complicate the algorithm
- if the test for whether to join to sequences is more complicated than
just having points in common then you will have to make the test 'if s2:'
more complex
  - if a point can be in two sequences that should not be joined, then the
map entries have to be lists of sequences rather than single sequences.
This will add a little complexity but not much.

HTH
Kent