[Tutor] What is a cricket match?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at freenet.co.uk
Fri Oct 22 09:59:22 CEST 2004

> I'm sorry that it's not on the topic of Python, but what exactly is
> cricket match?
> It's obviously a game of some sort.

Yes, it originated in England and infected the rest of the
British Empire during the 1800's. In large parts of the world
Cricket is now the national sport.

As a Scotsman (we don't do cricket on principle! :-) I only
vaguely understand the rules despite the best endeavours of
my sports teacher. Essentially two teams take turns at batting
and bowling. There are two batsmen at each end of a runway and
the bowler bowls a small, hard wooden ball at a set of wooden
posts called stumps. The batsman tries to stop him hitting the
stumps (by hitting the ball not the bowler!) and while the
ball is thus deflected will score runs (somewhat like baseball).
The rest of the bowlers team are distributed as fielders
(with very strange position names like "silly mid-off")
who try to catch the batsmans ball (in which case he is out)
or return it as fast as possible to the bowler to resume play
and minimise the runs. Every 6 balls (an 'over') play swaps
end so that the other batsman gets a chance to play. If there
are no runs scored then the over is a "maiden" and the bowler
has "bowled a maiden over" which has become a common ENglish
saying for a successful mission.

Games can go on for up to 3 days! The team with most runs
after a set number of 'innings' played is deemed the winner.

> I can guess...
>
> IMHO
> IMO - In My Opinion
> OTOH - On The Other Hand
> HTH - Hope This Helps

There is a web site:

http://www.netlingo.com/inframes.cfm

Which has all the words/acronyms/abbreviations used by netters.

Alan G.