[Tutor] What is a cricket match?

Ajay abra9823 at mail.usyd.edu.au
Fri Oct 22 12:32:18 CEST 2004

some corrections

Quoting Alan Gauld <alan.gauld at freenet.co.uk>:

> > I'm sorry that it's not on the topic of Python, but what exactly is
> > cricket match?
> > It's obviously a game of some sort.
>
> Yes, it originated in England and infected the rest of the
> British Empire during the 1800's. In large parts of the world
> Cricket is now the national sport.
>
> As a Scotsman (we don't do cricket on principle! :-) I only
> vaguely understand the rules despite the best endeavours of
> my sports teacher. Essentially two teams take turns at batting
> and bowling. There are two batsmen at each end of a runway and
> the bowler bowls a small, hard wooden ball at a set of wooden
> posts called stumps.
its a leather ball, wooden wouldn't bounce (and these balls do)

> The batsman tries to stop him hitting the
> stumps (by hitting the ball not the bowler!) and while the
> ball is thus deflected will score runs (somewhat like baseball).

runs are scored by running to the opposite end
> The rest of the bowlers team are distributed as fielders
> (with very strange position names like "silly mid-off")
> who try to catch the batsmans ball (in which case he is out)

only if they catch the ball before it hits the ground. he is also out if
the ball hits the stumps and there are a few more ways

> or return it as fast as possible to the bowler to resume play
> and minimise the runs. Every 6 balls (an 'over') play swaps
> end so that the other batsman gets a chance to play. If there
> are no runs scored then the over is a "maiden" and the bowler
> has "bowled a maiden over" which has become a common ENglish
> saying for a successful mission.
>
> Games can go on for up to 3 days! The team with most runs
> after a set number of 'innings' played is deemed the winner.

there are two versions. one, called the one-day is more popular and takes
most of one day. each side gets 50 overs (an over is the 6 ball term
mentioned earlier) so a team faces 300 balls.
the other called a Test match is much much more complicated. suffice to
say, it takes 5 days.

a game for those with time on their hands is how i would describe it.