[Tutor] Would an OOP approach be simpler?

Liam Clarke cyresse at gmail.com
Sat Oct 23 03:30:52 CEST 2004

Thanks very much for the article link Kent, it's the sort of thing
I've been looking for.

Cheers,

Liam Clarke

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 20:46:17 -0400, Kent Johnson
<kent_johnson at skillsoft.com> wrote:
> Your approach looks fine to me. The functions are clean and distinct.
>
> Beginners seem to have a lot of trouble understanding when to use classes.
> I have written an article showing some  common reasons for using classes.
> You can read it here: http://www.pycs.net/users/0000323/stories/15.html
>
> Kent
>

> At 10:22 PM 10/18/2004 +1300, you wrote:
> >Hi all,
> >
> >This module (code below), is comprised of functions, which are run by
> >a main function, which just passes bits of data around.
> >
> >http://rafb.net/paste/results/mpCxox91.html
> >
> >Still trying to 'reconfigure my brain' (as several OOP tutorials put
> >it), to understand
> >the 'OOP paradigm' as nearly every OOP site puts it. At the very
> >least, repartition my brain and install an OOP OS in a separate
> >section. : )
> >
> >My module is pretty much going to do one thing (get emails, and dump
> >their attachments in a directory for another module to extract info,
> >which will pass the info to another module which will generate a csv
> >of the extracted data, and email it again, all feeding back at
> >appropriate times to a small GUI), and all the bits of data being
> >flung from function to function (in quite a linear sequence), will be
> >self-contained within that module.
> >
> >I can see two functions which may be used by other modules, but the
> >values they use won't change, they'll just hand them to different
> >functions to play with (i.e the load cfg module will load the config
> >file, and pass the information to a function which allows the user to
> >change the config, and the second function will then save the config)
> >
> >I really need a situation that screams 'objects are the only way' to
> >work on to comprehend why OOP = good I think. The OOP tutorials I've
> >found tend to be OOP for the sake of OOP...
> >
> >Thoughts appreciated. (And there are several errors in the posted
> >code, like my except clause when trying to login, but that's because I
> >haven't gotten around to that yet. And some are typos. : )  )

'There is only one basic human right, and that is to do as you damn well please.
And with it comes the only basic human duty, to take the consequences.