[Tutor] Turning a "script" into an "application"

Bill Mill bill.mill at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 08:48:11 CEST 2004

Joe,

Yes, this will only handle one connection at a time. If you want to
write a server to handle a lot of connections concurrently, there are
two main approaches. They are nicely illustrated by two different
webservers.

Medusa (http://www.amk.ca/python/code/medusa.html) uses a pool of
sockets and iterates through them using something called polling. To
learn more about this, study up on the asynchat module.

Apache (http://httpd.apache.org/) versions 2.0 and above use a
threaded model, where each request to the server creates a new thread
in the backgrounds to handle the request, then goes back to listening.
Study the threading module to learn more about this.

As the python docs will tell you, threading is simpler and more
popular, but for a network server, polling is often more efficient.

Peace
Bill Mill
bill.mill at gmail.com