[Tutor] Turning a "script" into an "application"

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at freenet.co.uk
Thu Oct 28 00:27:30 CEST 2004

> Rather than use Windows to control my script's behavior,
> I would like to add some larger control method to it so
> it can have persistent (in memory) data, the ability to
> control scan parameters from within the application,
> the ability to stop and start scans from within the
> application, save captured data to file, etc.

None of this is difficult, just write a wrapper application
around what you have, leave it running and get it to invoke
the current app at a timed interval. The only need for
threads would be if the current app takes a long time to
run in which case it should run in the background to
prevent the control app from "locking up" while the scan

> I would like to leave interface options open
> (text, GUI, web, etc).

Always a good idea to separate presentation from logic,
but you might want to consider multiple applets for each
presentation, each calling the same underlying set of

Alan G.