[Tutor] recommended IDE for windows?

gubbs gubbs at fudo.org
Thu Oct 28 15:52:34 CEST 2004

>  Gubbs said -
>> I have recently been using the thoroughly excellent (tabbed and code
>> highlighting) pyPE written by Mr. Josiah Carlson.
>>
>> http://pype.sourceforge.net/
>>

> I wholeheartedly agree with the above. It has a function tree, so you
> can collapse functions that you're not working on, it makes the spaces
> quite large (Unlike IDLE you're not peering at the screeen thinking
> 'is that a space'?), and the code highlighting works as you type.
>
> But I do like Pythonwin's autocomplete thingy.

I recently emailed the developer about adding some new features here's his
(abridged)reply:

> Thanks for this great app!

You are welcome.

> I dunno if this is really rude but I'd like to detach/tabbify the area
> that shows all the function definitions on the right hand side since
> it gets annoying  having to resize the pane every time I open a new
> file.

Unfortunately you are going to have to wait for PyPE 2.x for a change in
that behavior.  2.x will include major changes, among which will save
you from having to continually resize that pane.

Expect PyPE 2.x before January 1, 2005.

- Josiah