[Tutor] \ n in list\ string

Malcolm Clift mail at mjclift.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Oct 25 18:16:00 CEST 2004

Hi All,

This is partly a wx problem, but I'm not convinced the answer is related to wx hence my posting to this group.

I have been experimenting with the DragImage demo in wx. I'm trying to have a simple word wrap based on the number of items in the l1 list. Someone suggested the 'for i in range' line, but this just alters the y value for the whole text. I think that something like this 'for i in range...' needs to go before the image is drawn. I have also tried  putting  \ n in the text, which would seem to be the easiest thing to do, but I couldn't get this to work.

        # Make a shape from some text
        l1 = ['a','b','c','d','a','b','c','d','a','b','c','d','a','b','c','d',]
        text = " "+"".join(l1)
        bg_colour = wx.Colour(57, 115, 57)  # matches the bg image
        font = wx.Font(36, wx.MODERN, wx.NORMAL, wx.NORMAL, 0, "Arial")
        textExtent = self.GetFullTextExtent(text, font)

        # create a bitmap the same size as our text
        bmp = wx.EmptyBitmap(textExtent[0], textExtent[1])

        # 'draw' the text onto the bitmap
        dc = wx.MemoryDC()
        dc.SelectObject(bmp)
        dc.SetBackground(wx.Brush(bg_colour, wx.SOLID))
        dc.Clear()
        dc.SetTextForeground(wx.RED)
        dc.SetFont(font)
        dc.DrawText(text, 0, 0)