[Tutor] beginner help!!!!

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Thu Sep 2 20:17:14 CEST 2004

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, Kooser, Ara S wrote:

> Could you post the code and the error message. Thanks

Hi Jill,

Yes, we need to see your code.  I suspect it might be an indentation
problem, but without seeing your code, I can't make any solid remarks
either.  Feel free to just copy and paste it in your reply.

About the error message stuff: don't parapharse the error: show it to us
as it comes.  For example, here's the kind of error message we like to
see:

###
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
NameError: name 'oracle' is not defined
###

In contrast, if we paraphrase the error message to just:

    "There's a Name Error somewhere in my program",

then that's not as helpful to us.  The real error message itself has told
us what appears to be undefined, and on what line the problems appear to
start.  The paraphrase, on the other hand, just tells us that something's
wrong, but doesn't tell us where to look.

In this case, originality is not a good thing: it's good not to suppress
that information in paraphrase.  Instead, just copy-and-paste the error,
around where the "Traceback" starts.

Good luck!