[Tutor] drawing a graph

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Fri Sep 3 08:47:54 CEST 2004

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004, Fathima Javeed wrote:

> I have managed to get distances between sequnces at each P value, using
> randomization, so now i have a html output file where there are two set
> of values one is different distance percentage and another P values from
> 1 to 100, How would i draw a graph in Python i.e. distance against P
> values for each sequence, Completely lost now, really would appreciate
> help, would it be helpful to paste my code here?

Hi Vuzzi,

Can you give us a small example of what you'd like a graph to look like,
for, say three small sequences?  That may help us to point you toward the
right graph-generating tools.

There are graph tools from the 'graphviz' project:

    http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/graphviz/

but I'm not sure if you mean this kind of graph.  *grin* "Graph" is
another one of those overloaded words.

You might mean bar charts or line graphs instead.  Perhaps you might be
able to use HTMLGen to generate nice HTML bar charts:

But it sounds like you might want something more.  There's a Python
extension module the R statistics system, and since R has robust graphing,
you can take advantage of it:

    http://rpy.sourceforge.net/
    http://www.togaware.com/linux/survivor/Graphs.shtml

Does this help?