[Tutor] OSX and installation of new Python versions

Christian Meesters cmeesters at ucdavis.edu
Fri Sep 24 22:36:50 CEST 2004

Hi

Is there a way to install 2.4 or 2.3.4 on the Mac (OSX 10.3.5) so that
there is only one Python version?

I would prefer version 2.4, because I'd like to use at least one of the
new features (easy sorting of dictionaries for keys). But the reason
I'm asking is actually that is becomes highly annoying to have the Mac
preinstalled Python version (2.3) always present, whereas any other
version explicitly has to be called with the full path. Installing
third party modules like wxPython and numarray isn't fun this way. Not
knowing whether wxPython would run with Python 2.4, I might have to
live with 2.3.4, but that's ok (for most of my purposes 2.3.2 would be
ok).

Any ideas how to achieve all this? (Parameters during setup and
compiling?) Frankly: The MacPython FAQ didn't help me any further and I
fear I have to live with this until Apple will include an updated
version in its OS. Or do I?

And one last question: If there is any solution - what will be the
impact on pythonw?

Thanks
Christian